Thursday, October 20, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Chili

It's that time of the year again, when the weather gets colder and your crockpot doesn't get a break because it constantly has your favorite stew, soup, or chili simmering in it. Last fall I created a wonderful Buffalo Chicken Chili, and it was such a big hit, I thought people might like to have the recipe again. I know I have been out of the bogging world for a while, and probably won't get back into it. But regardless, here is what you will need to make this yummy chili that will be a big hit for any fall and winter event!

4 small boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/2 onion, diced
Frank's Buffalo sauce
2 pkgs Ranch mix
1 can chicken broth
3/4 cup salsa
2 cans White Northern beans
1 small container heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
shredded cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)


I find the easiest way to shred chicken is to let it cook in the crock pot for 5-6 hours on low.  I do this the day before I make the chili and just refrigerate it.  But there are other ways to cook and shred chicken, so use whatever method works best for you.

Next, saute the diced onion with a little oil until translucent. Add chicken, 1 package of ranch seasoning, and buffalo sauce to cover and saute a few more minutes.

In a crock pot, combine the chicken/onion mixture, beans, remaining package of ranch seasoning, salsa, chicken broth, salt, pepper, more buffalo sauce to your taste, and as much water as needed to cover.  Cook on low for several hours.  Before serving stir in heavy cream.  Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream if desired, and tortilla scoops go really well with it too!

This does not have to be prepared in a crock pot, I just love to throw everything together at the beginning of the day and be done with it, as well as the wonderful smell it creates throughout the house the whole day.  Add as much or as little buffalo sauce as you desire, depending on how spicy you want it to be.  This really came together just as I was hoping it would, and it is definitely husband approved!





3 comments:

  1. Melissa, I can't wait to try this! I am also glad to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa- this sounds amazing! Just curious- how much of Frank's Buffalo Sauce do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never measured it really, and it has been a little while since I have made it! I would start with a little, and then add more for your taste preference.

      Delete